At Achieve TMS, we want to help you take care of your mental, emotional, and physical health. Now, we’re here to teach you about self-care, why it is essential, and how to take care of yourself every day.
What Is Self-Care?
Self-care involves deliberate actions to help improve mood and reduce anxiety. With effective self-care, people can take care of themselves so that they can take care of others.
Why Is Self-Care Important?
People who practice self-care daily may be less susceptible to burnout, extreme fatigue, and other mental, emotional, and physical health issues. Self-care can also lead to positive relationships with others.
Tips to Practice Self-Care
- Recognize Your Limits: If everyday activities start to feel too overwhelming, practice self-care.
- Develop a Sleep Routine: Get seven to nine hours of sleep every night to help the mind and body recover at the end of the day.
- Eat Healthily: Consume foods rich in vitamins, nutrients, and minerals as part of a healthy diet. Also, plan meals and snacks to maintain your energy throughout the day.
- Decompress During the Day: Schedule mini-breaks over the course of a day to rejuvenate the body and mind.
- Enjoy Daily Rewards: Simple daily rewards like enjoying dinner with a friend or going to the gym after work may motivate and inspire you on any given day.
- Practice Mindfulness: Meditation, yoga, and other mindfulness activities can help you decompress and relax.
- Unplug from Electronic Devices: Disconnect from electronic devices at the end of the day.
- Keep a Journal: Write down any thoughts, feelings, questions, and concerns in a daily journal.
- Ask for Help: Discuss self-care with family members and friends and explore ways to practice self-care.
- Love Yourself: Take a moment to love yourself. Appreciate the fact that you are unique and make significant contributions to the world daily.
Daily Self-Care Checklist
- Diet: Consume at least five portions of fruits and vegetables
- Sleep: Get seven to nine hours of sleep
- Physical Activity: Engage in at least 30 minutes of moderate physical activity
- Hydration: Drink six to eight glasses of water
- Reward: Devote at least one hour to do something you enjoy
Weekly Self-Care Checklist
- Mindfulness: Engage in at least one activity that encourages you to look inward, appreciate yourself and the world around you, and express gratitude to others
- Social Connection: Call a friend or family member, meet with a mental health counselor, or connect with others in a social setting
- Learning: Learn at least one new thing about yourself and the world around you
Learn More About Self-Care from Achieve TMS
Achieve TMS encourages you to practice self-care, and we offer transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) therapy program to help people coping with depression and other mood disorders. To learn more about our TMS therapy program, please contact us online, or call or text us today at 877-296-5032.